No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.
Roger Ebert.

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

42




As I sit here, writing a review of a movie that portrays strength of character over the power of hate, all I can think of is that I locked my keys in my car. 

That has nothing to do with the movie 42

It most certainly is not anything like the obstacles that Jackie Robinson faced breaking down the color barrier in Major League Baseball. 

It is, however, the one thought playing over and over and over in my mind, as I mentally whack myself for being so stupid. It's not even a good story. 

I'll tell it anyway.

I was trying to prevent my crazy dog from strangling himself on his seat-belt-leash-thingy as he tried to escape from the car, and I simply dropped my keys on the seat in order to get some air down his windpipe. Then I closed the locked door. There are still leftovers in the trunk. That's the worst part, honestly.

Maybe I'll tell people I was doing battle with a wild animal of some sort, kind of like this guy. 

Makes for better story.

(deep breath)

I think I can write now. 

http://blacksheepreviews.com/42-review/
Did you know Jackie Robinson's jersey number has been permanently retired?

This biography of Jackie Robinson is worth watching- great baseball sequences, an inspiring story, and I wish I could show it to my students. It has too many inappropriate words- authentic to the time period, of course- but 7th graders aren't quite capable of separating historical accuracy from "He said a bad word! Phmmf...(suppressed giggle)."

It is, however, a slightly flat film, like a pop you're excited to drink, but realize it's been left open to long.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/12/showbiz/movies/42-movie-review/index.html
Just keep stealing bases- those are your best scenes.
Chadwick Boseman as Jackie Robinson felt stale- no fire, no spunk, though that was kind of the point. He wasn't supposed to react. He was supposed to absorb and deflect all the action, so that no one could have a valid argument to keep a black man from baseball.

The over-done musical score really wants you to feel certain emotional responses in regards to Robinson, and while I was happy enough to follow the uplifting story, I couldn't help but be aware of the strategic trajectory.

Harrison Ford, on the other hand, gave a spectacular performance.

http://www.npr.org/2013/04/12/176785008/earnest-42-buffs-up-a-golden-baseball-moment
His body suit seemed to show a bit in the back, though.
His portrayal of the Dogers' general manager, Branch Rickey, was evocative and his lines were some of the best. His bravery is certainly not overlooked, but Jackie Robinson was the one receiving daily death threats. To its credit, 42 points out that important and horrifying fact in its best scene.

I've heard that people who watch this are reminded of The Help, a great story all around, but a story that seems to prove a movie about race in America must come with big-name white actors to attract crowds. 

I personally think America needs to stop tip-toeing around political correctness, acknowledge that race is an awkward subject due to the baggage of suffering it carries with it, and continue to cast amazing actors of all colors that can build off of each other. Chadwick Boseman just can't compare to Harrison Ford, who seems to be getting even better at growling his lines with every passing year.

http://www.listal.com/list/a-6699
You may even surpass the classic Clint someday, Harrison.

Political correctness aside, it is a well-done biography, worth watching for history's sake, and Harrison Ford's great performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment